The Fusfeld Group, Inc.
15 Laverdure Circle
Contact Phil Russell or The Fusfeld Group.
Philip Russell joined The Fusfeld Group as Senior Associate in 2012 after more than 25 years of industrial experience with the Weyerhaeuser Company. Dr. Russell consults in the areas of incorporating uncertainties and risks in project and portfolio valuation modeling, pulp and paper process optimization and economics, bio-products development, and complex systems modeling with emphasis on the impact of technology on product and business economic value. In addition, he also provides consulting services for pilot plant development and new product commercialization.
Dr. Russell has a broad background that includes assignments in Research & Development, Customer Technical Service, Total Quality Management, Technology Network Leadership, Technology Project Management, Innovation, Project Management Office Leadership, Manufacturing Leadership, Leveraging of External Technologies, Competitive Intelligence, New Product Development and Strategic Technology Planning.
- Developed tool set for Weyerhaeuser to assess and drive a $60 million R&D project portfolio to an improved risk to reward position.
- Developed project and portfolio valuation models incorporating risk and uncertainty to support new product portfolio management decisions for a large petrochemical company.
- Led technology and intellectual property transfer team associated with a $600 million acquisition of assets from Proctor & Gamble by Weyerhaeuser in 1992.
- Developed and led implementation of a rate-surge manufacturing strategy that increased profit by $20 MM over 3 years at an integrated pulp and paper facility.
- Operating superintendent for an 800 ton-per-day bleached kraft pulp mill and a 250 ton-per-day semi-chemical pulp line.
- Led a $7.1 MM reclaimed fiber project that upgraded industrial waste into a renewable commercial product resulting in avoidance of landfill tipping fees for 30,000 tons of material and revenue of over $9 MM in a four-year time period.
- Director for a new product development project management office with 24 highly-capable project managers and intellectual property staff.
- Provided top-level technical service related to cellulose fibers (bleached wood pulp) for industrial customers in the United States, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Taiwan, Australia and New Zealand.
Academic Background and Professional Activities:
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, magna cum laude, University of Washington (1979)
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley (1984)
- Author of 6 research publications
- Author of 1 US patent
- Former Weyerhaeuser representative to the Industrial Research Institute
- Former member of Board of Directors for the Industrial Research Institute
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from the Project Management Institute
Contact Phil Russell or get more information about The Fusfeld Group.