Not So Recently...
"Felting A Life" Artist Statement feature in the March issue (Vol. 33 #3 2010) of ORNAMENT Magazine, or access it from here.
Somewhat Recently, Depending on Your Definition of "Recently"...
Felter's Rendevous 2017!
2 Two-Day workshops at the YMCA of the Rockies in beautiful Estes Park, Colorado.
5 instructors, 9 classes, including "Three-Pocket Bag with Handles in Two Days" and "Two Hats in Two Days".
YMCA of the Rockies Center is nestled against Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park, Colorado.
A two-day workshop and a one-day workshop at the beautiful Seasons on the St. Croix Gallery. End of October! Info for the whole
fabulous fibre month.Contact Robin Firth.
Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker
Queeny Park Fall Art Fair on Labor Day Weekend from Friday, August 30-Sunday, September 1st, 2013.
Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker in Booth 521 at the
St. Paul RiverCentre for the American Craft Council Show!
The St. Paul RiverCentre is at 175 W. Kellogg Blvd.
"Hat on a Ball" Workshop at the Craft Alliance in St. Louis, 9-5, Saturday, 27 September 2014. Join us for another great session!
Three days of art and fine craft! Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker will be in St. Louis at the
39th Annual Fall Art Fair at Queeny Park. August 29-31 (Friday - Sunday), indoors and air-conditioned.
Directions to Queeny Park at 550 Weidman Rd, Ballwin, MO 63011
Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker: ACC St. Paul St. Paul RiverCentre, April 11-13, Preview Party April 10th. Booth 520
Felt a Scarf with Hand-Dyed Merino Wool and Hand-Dyed Silk Fabric at The Oasis School of Fiber Arts. Saturday, 25 May 2013 from 9-3:30.
Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker at the St. Paul RiverCentre 19-21 April 2013 for the
American Craft Council show Preview Party evening of April 18th.
- Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker at the Baltimore Convention Center 22-24 February 2013 for the
American Craft Council show.
Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker at the
One of A Kind Show in Chicago at the Merchandise Mart, Booth 6080. December 6-9, 2012
Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker in a trunk show in Evanston, Illinois 17-18 November 2012 with
"... On the Ball" Workshops in the U.K. September 2012. Four 2-day courses: Headley Village Hall 15/16th, Hats; Farnham Maltings 17/18th, Bags; Burbage Village Hall 20/21st, Bags; Bristol 22/23rd, Hats. Click Here to email for information.
Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker at the American Craft Council Show in St. Paul, Minnesota at the St. Paul RiverCentre, Booth 609. April 20-22, 2012
Special Preview Party April 19, 2012. http://public.craftcouncil.org/stpaul
Bounce a Ball, Felt a Bag at the Craft Alliance in St. Louis, Missouri. A one-day wet-felting workshop on March 24th, 2012 -- wear your water-proof apron or you'll end up with "felter's belly." (http://www.craftalliance.org/store/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=3339)
Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker at The American Craft Council's flagship show in Baltimore (http://public.craftcouncil.org/baltimore). Booth 3704, February 24-26, 2012 at the Baltimore Convention Center.
- One of a Kind, 1-4 December 2011, Chicago Merchandise Mart, Booth 8-9095, as collaborative element in "Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker."
Bounce a Ball, Felt a Hat at the Craft Alliance on Delmar in St. Louis, Saturday, October 29th, 9:30 am promptly - 5 pm. Click on More Felted Hats with Ruth Walker for further information (314.725.1177 x331).
- Peoria Fine Art Fair, 24-25 September 2011, in Peoria, Illinois from 10-5 each day. Collaborative element of "Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker."
- Estes Park Wool Market. Estes Park, Colorado. On the 11th & 12th of June (although opening on the evening of the 10th for workshop participants) I'll be in my booth with hats, scarves, and wool for felting.
- "Nuno- or Not" Felt Scarf Workshop at the Estes Park Wool Market, Thursday June 9th, 2011. "Nuno" is simply the Japanese word for "fabric." "Nuno-felt" is the incorporation of knit or woven fabric into the structure of wool felt by wet felting. As the wool shrinks up it buckles and bubbles the fibers and fabrics that don't shrink, yielding some pretty wonderful textures.
- Art Fair at Laumeier Sculpture Park, St. Louis, Missouri, Mothers Day Weekend, May 6 - 8, 2011 as Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker.
- Felt a Purse on a Ball at the Delmar Loop of the Craft Alliance, St. Louis, MO, April 30th, 2011.
- American Craft Council Show in St. Paul, Minnesota, 15-17 April 2011 on the main aisle in Booth 1904 designated Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker.
- "Hat on a Ball" workshop all day Saturday at the Tenth Anniversary 2011 Fiber Retreat in Jefferson City, Missouri, Saturday March 12th, 2011. The class will be held at the 4H Camp (a part of the Lincoln University Experimental Farm).
- Invitational Exhibition - FLESH, FELT, FIBER The Davis Art Gallery at Stephens College, Columbia, Missouri March 4-24, 2011. With Jane Mudd, Suza Wooldridge, Sharon Kilfoyle and Robert Friedman. Opening reception 4-6 pm March 4th.
- American Craft Council Show in Baltimore, Maryland at the Baltimore Convention Center, Feb. 24-27, 2011 in Booth 535 designated Suza Designs With Ruth Walker, Feltmaker.
- "Hat on a Ball" Workshop at the Craft Alliance at the Delmar Studio in St. Louis, MO, from 9:30-5 on 22 January 2011. 11 new and continuing felters each constructed, felted and completed a hat in a day!
- One of A Kind Show, Chicago, 8th floor of the Merchandise Mart in "Fashion Avenue" at Booth 8-9095, 2-5 December 2010, with Suza Wooldridge, collaborator. Our booth is listed as Wow! Dyed and Felted.
- Unique Boutique with Suza Wooldridge from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at John Burroughs School, 755 South Price Road in Ladue, St. Louis, Missouri, 20-21 November 2010.
- Inaugural workshop for a new felting group in the Kansas City area! "Bounce a Ball, Felt a Hat" on October 24. Contact Judy Santner for more information.
- 27th Annual Taos Wool Festival, 2-3 October 2010. Vendor and Prize-winner. (This is another one of the very few times of the year you can buy hand-dyed permanently moth-proofed wool from me.)
- Peoria Art Guild 48th Annual Fine Art Fair, September 25th and 26th with Preview Party on the 24th. Invited artist.
- Midwest Felting Symposium July 21-25, 2010, vendor. This is one of the very few times of the year you can buy hand-dyed permanently moth-proofed wool from me. (I myself will be taking a couple of workshops there.)
- Workshop at the Craft Alliance in St. Louis, MO July 17: "Nuno ... or Not" fine felt scarf incorporating silk fabric. (Or not -- your preference.) "Nuno" is simply the Japanese word for "fabric." "Nuno-felt" is the incorporation of knit or woven fabric into the structure of wool felt by wet felting. As the wool shrinks up it buckles and bubbles the fibers and fabrics that don't shrink, yielding some pretty wonderful textures.
- Estes Park Wool Market June 9-12, 2010 including felting workshops and booth.
American Craft Council Show, St. Paul RiverCentre, 16-18 April 2010. Booth 2106 with Suza Wooldridge. Invited artists,
Fashion Accessories and
- Kunstlerhaus: Featured along with Suza Wooldridge, 4 January - 5 February. 207 E. First St., Hermann, Missouri 65041, 573-486-2303. Featurette from Hermann's newspaper
One of A Kind Show & Sale, Chicago, December 3-6, Chicago Merchandise Mart. Invited artist; booth number is 8-9095. This is in the 8000 aisle of the golden-hued "Fashion District" as shown on the following map, which you will need to read with your very best bifocals &/or your dissecting microscope:
Floor plan overview (pdf).
- FALL TRUNK SHOW with
Brooks Ltd. in Lakewood, Colorado, September 24-26.
- 19TH ANNUAL ART TO WEAR SHOW at the
Cambridge Artists' Co-op at 59A Church St., Cambridge, Massachusetts. 24 September - October 25.
26th ANNUAL TAOS WOOL FESTIVAL, 3-4 October 2009, Kit Carson Park, Taos, New Mexico, Booth 57. Saturday 9-5, Sunday 9-4 in all types of weather!
TWENTY THIRD ANNUAL ONE-OF-A-KIND WEARABLE ART
FASHION SHOW AND LUNCHEON sponsored by
The Fine Line Creative Arts Center of Chicago, Illinois. Invited artist. 18 October 2009.
8th Annual ARTstravaganza! with
The Best of Missouri Hands Juried Artist Members. Friday Evening 4:00 to 9:00 PM, Saturday 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Sunday 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM
At the St. Louis Artists' Guild, Oak Knoll Park, Clayton, MO 63105
Midwest Felting Symposium at the end of July through the beginning of August in Madison, Wisconsin. I'll be selling wonderful fibers that I've dyed and mothproofed. There is a fabulous line-up of teachers (I'll be taking a couple of classes); you should get registered.
Workshop: Roll a Ball, Felt a Purse with Two & a half Pockets Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 near Colorado Springs, Colorado. Contact
Deb Tewell for further information.
Estes Park Wool Market juried artist, June 13-14, 2009, Estes Park, Colorado.
Workshop: Felt a Design-Award-Winning Pouch.
Estes Park Wool Market, Thursday, June 11th, 2009.
Smithsonian On-Line Auction. From April 15th through April 28th you can bid for fine craft, proceeds to benefit the Smithsonian's educational mission. Items available this year include a Ruth Walker, Feltmaker hat, as requested by the Smithsonian Women's Committee. (The proceeds from the hat I donated two years ago to this auction went to gorilla reproduction research.)
Workshop: Roll a Ball, Felt a Hat, April 22nd, 2009, hosted by the Zumbro River Fiber Arts Guild, Oronoco, Minnesota. Contact
Carolyn Barsness (or 507-269-7074) for details.
American Craft Council American Craft Show in St. Paul, April 17 - 19, 2009, St. Paul RiverCentre. Combining space once again with
Suza Designs, Booths 604-605.
American Craft Council 2009 Baltimore American Craft Show, February 24 – 26, Wholesale, & Febrary 27 - March 1, For The Public, Baltimore Convention Center. As the Council’s flagship show, it is a must-attend event for the public and wholesale buyers alike. Hope to see you there!
Visitation Academy Visiting Artists Day, 9 February 2009, St. Louis, Missouri. Contact Fine Arts teacher Sue Lorenz for further information.
"Hat-i-tude!" January's Featured Artist at
Bluestem Missouri Crafts, 13 S. Ninth St., Columbia, Missouri. Reception January 23rd.
- Participation in The Columbia Weavers & Spinners' Guild Nineteenth Annual Holiday Exhibition & Sale, 7-9 November 2008 at the Boone County Historical Society Museum. The museum is located at 3801 Ponderosa Street in Columbia, Missouri. Click here for map & directions to the Museum. 6-9 pm on Friday, 9-4 on Saturday, 11-4 on Sunday. Demonstrations will be held Saturday & Sunday. This rigorously juried event is well-known for the excellent quality of the work presented.
- Roll That Ball, Felt
That Hat & Felt That Purse! Intense 2-day wet felting workshops on November 1st & 2nd with the Silverado Handweavers Guild of Napa, California. Here is an exciting opportunity to learn wet felting techniques as part of a hard working and fun-filled weekend making your very own fashion statement with a stunning hat and/or a handsome purse with practical pockets.There were 9 hat felters and 8 purse felters and almost everyone finished. Contact:
email Barbara Stafford or call 707 224 3229
- ARTstravaganza! Juried Artists from The Best of Missouri Hands are gathering from throughout the state of Missouri at the
St. Louis Artists’ Guild for the Annual ARTstravaganza! with fine, fun and folk artwork. More than 40 artists from this award-winning all-Missouri guild will fill the gracious Oak Knoll mansion and the adjoining heated tent with multi-media magic. The artwork in ARTstravaganza! will cover all aspects of fine arts and crafts including: pottery, painting, glass, jewelry, fiber, woodworking, sculpture, scrimshaw, photography and much more. 24-26 October 2008. Admission is free.
- 25th Annual Taos Wool Festival, 4-5 October 2008 at Kit Carson Park, Taos NM. One of the best-known wool festivals in the country, and at a time when one can drive through the Rockies and see dramatic golden aspens streaming through dark, dark evergreens. Booth 56 between Teri Inman's Bristol Yarnworks and Elsa. Blue ribbons acquired for a Teapot Dome and a pincushion.
- Featured Artisan, September 2008,
The Best of Missouri Hands.
- Celebrating Creativity, August 14-September 14, 2008. Juried exhibition of
Best of Missouri Hands artists at the Cox Gallery of the Gladys Woods Kemper Center for the Arts, William Woods University in Fulton, Missouri. Of my work the exhibition includes a "Blue-Violet with Chartreuse Locks" Hat and Purse. Juried by Dion Dion, Executive Director,
Art St. Louis, whose juror's comments state "Functional work that races past mere function to the presentation of beauty, superior quality and very fine craft include the works of Noel Leicht, Lee Richards, Sandy Schulz, Susan Lumsden, Katherine Ehlmann, Ruth Walker, Ellen Klamon and Suza Wooldridge."
- Roll a Ball, Felt a Purse! Intense 1-day wet felting workshop with 2-d and 3-d resists at the Midwest Felting Symposium, 23 July 2008, in Madison, Wisconsin.
- Five Days O' Felting: Intense 5-day introductory wet felting workshop at the Eureka Springs School of the Arts, 7-11 July 2008, Eureka Springs, Arkansas.
- Estes Park Wool Market, 12-13 June 2008. Gorgeous place, right at the margins of the Rocky Mountain National Park.
- "Hats & Purses on the Ball", 17 & 18 June 2008 (pick one or two days satisfyingly intense felting) just after the Estes Park Wool Market, at The Studios of Bristol along the "Silver Highway" above Creede, Colorado. Contact Teri Inman for information.
- Five Intense Afternoons of Felting with the fibers class of Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. 2-6 June 2008. Contact Professor Laura Strand for details.
ACC St. Paul Fine Craft Show, 18-20 April 2008, St. Paul RiverCentre, St. Paul, Minnesota. What a great place for felt hats! and the jackets constructed from luminous, handwoven, handpainted warps of Suza Wooldridge (Suza Designs).
"Great Balls O' Felt!" Artrageous Friday event at Bluestem Missouri Crafts, Friday 6-9 pm, 25 January 2008. Come, make truffle-sized felt balls with us in Bluestem's big window! 13 South Ninth St., Columbia, Missouri.
- "Roll a Ball -- Felt a Hat or Purse." Workshop with the Weavers' Guild of St. Louis on Saturday, 5 January 2008, at the Brentwood Community Center in St. Louis. Registration is through the Weavers Guild.
- ACC Fine Craft Show November 2-4, 2007, in Charlotte, North Carolina. Lovely weather; very, very quiet show floor. Booth 1612.
- Other than hats: My work won three major awards -- Grand Champion (Long Vest above and above left), Reserve Grand Champion (a pouch that can be worn over the shoulder or tied about the waist), and Lorraine Mooney Award for Best Use of Colorado-New Mexico-Texas Fibers (the aforementioned pouch) -- all three awards in two items in the Garment competition at the 24th Annual Taos Wool Festival October 6-7, 2007, at Kit Carson Park in Taos, New Mexico. Rain or shine, a premier collection of works of wool from the wool of Colorado, New Mexico and Texas. Booth 55 with Teri Inman of Bristol Yarnworks.
- ACC Fine Craft Show August 10-12, 2007, at the "Festival Pavilion" (Pier 3 at Fort Mason) in San Francisco, California, Booth 805. Fine American art and craft. Beautiful, cool weather.
- Felting workshops with the
Midwest Felting Symposium July 25-29, 2007, in Madison, Wisconsin. Taught a full day class on 3-d and 2-d resists in making purses (the general technique works for a variety of hats as well) and a half-day class on fine scarves.
Lakefront Festival of Arts , at the soaring
Milwaukee Art Museum, 15-17 June 2007, Booth 81.
- June 1-30: One of three featured artists for
"Layers - Layers - Layers" , an exhibition (found under "Events") at Bluestem Missouri Crafts in Columbia, Missouri. Long Greek vest of Ruth Walker entitled "I Dream of Rain" shown above and above left. Also featured are works by Leandra Spangler and Jenna Weston. Part of the Fiber Arts Tour & Exhibitions in Columbia, held in conjunction with early June's biennial International Surface Design Association Conference.
- Bidding was held online for one of my hats! The Smithsonian Craft Show Committee Women's Committee chose a hat for the Smithsonian Craft Show On-line Auction, which proceeded for 8 days from April 15th. The winning bidder thereby contributed to one of our nation's foremost resources. This year's offerings will be up for viewing (i.e., so that you can see what you missed) until April of 2008.The Wearable Art page of the "Closed" items contains the violet and red hat.
ACC St. Paul Fine Craft Show, 13-15 April 2007, St. Paul RiverCentre, St. Paul, Minnestoa. Booth 1704. What a great place for felt hats!
- American Craft Council (ACC) Baltimore Fine Craft Show. 20-22 Feb. Wholesale show information. Open to the Public, 23-25 February 2007. Booth 815, Baltimore Convention Center.
- 23rd Annual Taos Wool Festival October 7-8, 2006, at Kit Carson Park in Taos, New Mexico. Ruth Walker, Feltmaker was awarded a Blue Ribbon for her Fuchsia and Chartreuse Handfelted Purse with pockets.
- "A Celebration of Excellence" featuring Best of Missouri Hands Artists. August 14-September 23, 2006, at the Cox Gallery, Kemper Arts Center, William Woods University, Fulton, Missouri. A Natalie Acker Collins-Sponsored Juried Exhibition. Juror: Jerry K. Thomas.
- Midwest Felting Symposium, at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison, Wisconsin. July 26-30, 2006. Ruth Walker, Feltmaker, vendor.
- A Grand Convergence: Fiber Inspirations, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. June 27-July 1, 2006. Ruth Walker, Feltmaker, Booth 454.
- All Stitched Up, in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. Invited artist. April 30-June 11, 2006. Fifty state and national fiber artists, including a collection of art quilts by the Madison Contemporary Fiber Artists Guild. Beaver Dam Area Arts Association at the Seippel Homestead and Center for the Arts. Sponsored in part by Nancy's Notions. "Nancy's Notions Weekend" 3-6 May.
- Hat or Purse Felting in Fiber Arts classes at the University of Missouri-Columbia. 30 January-2 Februry 2006. Contact Dr. Jo Stealey, Department of Fine Arts, for further information.
- 29th Annual Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show, at the Philadelphia Convention Center at 12th and Locust in downtown Philadelphia, from 10-13 November 2005, listed as "Ruth Walker, Feltmaker." Booth 729.
- "Great Balls O' Felt!" Reading from "Warm as Wool," passing around clean and greasy fleeces, and felting (you guessed it) felt balls with the fifth grade classes of Lee Elementary School, Columbia MO, 9 December 2005.